Vegan Roasted Squash and Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
We are bringing a vegan twist to one of our favorite cheesy dishes, with Roasted Squash and Eggplant Parmesan Casserole! This delicious, easy baked dish is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It covers all the bases from cheese-lovers, to vegetable-seekers, and to all those looking to get a little out of their classic casserole comfort zone.
What Exactly is a Casserole?
To be or not to be...a casserole? If you’re wondering what even constitutes a casserole, you are in good company! While many of us may be familiar with the term, some may not be quite sure what exactly goes into this dish. We are pulling the tin foil back and investigating that layered goodness with you!
Casseroles are layered, baked meals. They typically have proteins and vegetables layered on top of each other, and the process of baking allows each layer to melt in each other. This factor advances the overall essence of the meal by melding together those amazing flavors!
Casseroles are like the first cousin of a stew and are similar in the way that they intensify a meal by combining the flavors and nutrients of multiple ingredients. The cooking process and consistency vary greatly, though, as stews are cooked on the stove and retain a liquid base versus the solid consistency of a baked casserole.
Eggplant Dos and Don’ts
Oh, eggplant, the oddly shaped vegetable that no one seems to know how to cook with. Want to learn how to make eggplant taste as good in your kitchen as it does in plant-based restaurants?
Looking for Ways to Incorporate Eggplant Recipes for Dinners? Then you need to learn our eggplant Do's and Don’ts!
- Do skin the eggplant if it is medium to large or if it is a bit older as the skin can become bitter.
- Do remember to add spices and oil to the eggplant as the sponge-like interior acts as a great sponge for those added flavors!
- Do spread out the slices to ensure that the eggplant is thoroughly cooked through.
- Don’t overcrowd the slices or cubes. This won’t allow the eggplant to properly brown.
- Don’t skin a smaller sized eggplant! Their skin tends to have a more subtle taste, and they contain a powerful antioxidant. Click here for more nutritional facts!
- Don’t go overboard with the flavors. Eggplant has a wonderful taste on its own, make sure to let it shine through by only complimenting the taste instead of drowning it in the sauce.
What would make for the perfect pair to compliment this tasty dish?
Check out a few of these delicious sides and appetizers to try out!
- Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Mom's Simple Creamy Coconut Rice Recipe
- Mom's Baked Sweet Potatoes Rounds
Feel free to share any of your creative modifications to this healthy eggplant recipe with us on the links below, as we would love to hear them! You can also share your favorite recipes on our share your recipe page with our whole community!