With Summer kicking into full gear, just about everyone around the corner will be outside cooking one of America's staple summer foods; hot dogs. For vegans, this can be quite daunting as the smell is very alluring.
So why not ignore the smell of those super fatty masses of beef and pork trimmings and learn how make your own vegan hotdogs... With Carrots!
How To Make Vegan Hot Dogs From Scratch
Yes, that's right. Carrots. You'll enjoy our super tasty vegan carrot dogs, rounded around the edges, shaved and soaked overnight in a seasoned marinade.
Get started by washing and peeling 5 or 6 large carrots.The objective is to make them look as much like hot dogs as possible. So don't be afraid to cut them around the edges to round them out.
After all is said and done, don't expect the end result to resemble anything like a hotdog, just yet. But after pan searing them or tossing them on the BBQ for some grill marks, your eyes and taste buds will surely have you fooled.
Pro tips for making vegan hot dogs:
- It depends upon the size of the carrot, but make sure not to cut them too small or to let them remain too long. We would suggest leaving them just a tad bit long so that way they just barely stick out of the bun.
- Soak them overnight in an airtight container for optimal flavor.
- When boiling the carrots, use half the marinade and add water to cover them sufficiently.
- Use the remaining half of marinade while cooking in the pan.
- Use avocado or other high heat cooking oil if grilling to avoid the carrots from drying out.
- If you don't have time to soak the carrots overnight, begin the preparation process at least 3 1/2 to 4 hours before the intended meal time.
What Do I Need For Vegan Hotdog Marinade?
All of the ingredients used in the marinade of this vegan hotdog recipe are ideally organic. Feel free to mix and match other flavors to the mix as well. Some other popular ingredients added to this kind of vegan marinade include smoked paprika and liquid smoke.
Please let us know what kind of marinade alterations work for you. If you decide to get a little extra crafty before you whisk away, we'd love to hear your ideas in the links and comments below!
How to Cook the Best Vegan Hot Dogs
Once the preparation has been complete, and your carrots have been soaked to perfection, begin by heating a pan over medium or starting up the BBQ!
If cooking in a pan use a little marinade to start off and keep adding as needed. Keep rotating the carrots until they have become brown on all sides.
If using a BBQ instead, be sure to lightly coat the carrots in a high-temp cooking oil to keep them from drying out while getting those authentic grill marks.
Once you have finished cooking your carrot dogs, add your favorite toppings and eat away!
Here are some other great alternative recipes for summer foods we think you will enjoy!
Help support Assuaged and SAVE on great vegan organic products and more with Thrive!
If you have any alterations that you would like to share, please let us know and to be sure to send us a pic of what you come with on the link below. We are also happy to post your creative recipes that may want to share here on our ➡️Share Your Recipe⬅️ page.