So, you're thinking about taking a 'trip'? Whether this is first time or one in a long line of many trips, it is important to be properly prepared to reduce your risk for having a negative experience.
If you are a first timer, you may be dealing with fear and uncertainty if this is good idea. Or maybe you had a bad experience with psychedelics and want to prevent another bad trip. This information is for you, to guide you in making an informed decision and prepare for the best experience possible.
1. Set and setting- Set and Setting are common themes in the psychedelic community. Set refers to your mind set and expectations for your experience.
What is it that you hope to gain from this experience, healing, understanding, connection to something bigger? Setting refers to your physical location, where you will be, what you are doing during the experience.
2. Choose the right substance for you- Psilocybin, LSD, MDMA, DMT, cannabis, ketamine, how do you know which one is right for you? Each psychedelic medicine will have different effects on your mind and psyche.
Now that you have set your intention (above), it is time to match your intention with the appropriate medicine to get the most out of your journey. Learn More
3. Start small- The best way to determine what you can handle mentally and physically while trying to avoid having a difficult trip, is to start with a smaller dose. You can always take more, but you can never take less once it's done.
4. Choose your trip sitter- When taking a substance that is going to alter your perception of reality, it is important to have someone sober, sitting with you who knows your plan and how to help you when you under the influence.
Someone who will keep you safe, and help you navigate the journey. This could be a best friend, a trained facilitator, or a trusted neighbor. Your pet doesn't count.
5. Know your source & test your medicine- It is vitally important that you know and trust your source. Most psychedelic substances are still illegal, therefore getting them means going through back channels, which increases the risk of getting something that isn't what it is supposed to be or is laced with other substances such as fentanyl. For this reason, test your medicine before using it. Learn More
6. Surrender to the experience- Acknowledge the possibility of negative emotions, thoughts, and fear to develop a plan for counteracting them during the journey.
Practice surrendering, allowing yourself to flow through the experience. Do not fight any challenging or scary images that arise, rather face them with curiosity.
7. Plan for the duration- Different substances take different amounts of time to clear your system. Clear your day so that you have plenty of time for the medicine to do what it does. You don't want to be stressing about making a meeting or catching a flight during your trip.
8. Develop your integration plan- Whatever your reason or intention is to take a psychedelic journey, there will likely be elements that have the potential to change your life for the better. Integration is about applying your experiences in a meaningful way to your life.
There are several ways to do this: use an integration coach, read up on the subject, find integration support groups online.
9. Stay hydrated- Hydration is always a good idea. While you are under the influence of a mind-altering substance, you may forget to eat or drink, so plan ahead to have these things handy.
10. Keep integration hotline or app on hand- Sometime during or right after a psychedelic experience it is helpful to have someone to talk to who understands what you're experiencing.
The Fireside project offers a psychedelic support hotline available 24-hours a day and mobile app, staffed by volunteers with specialized training in helping others navigate their psychedelic experience and integrate that experience into their lives. Call or Text 62-FIRESIDE. Learn More
Read blog, watch videos, hear testimonials
Attending community events share psychedelic research, education, and connections
Start conversations with friends and family, you never know who might have connections and experiences to share
Research different types of altered states of consciousness
Understand state and local laws regarding psychedelics in your area
There are plenty of options for psychedelic experimentation, and consciousness expansion. Remember that knowledge is your greatest ally. Get to know the substances, setting, dosage, and integration techniques to ensure a profound and safe experience. Adhering to harm-reductions principles is not only empowering, but also minimizes potential risks.
Please remember to comment or post any health questions, or contact us directly!